If you have been arrested for Florida DUI you should be aware of some serious consequences that may not immediately be clear:
- If you want to keep your driver's license while your case is pending, you must request a hearing with DMV within ten days of your arrest.
- You can lose your license for up to a year on your first offense.
- The mugshot taken of you at the jail is public record and will not go away unless you are found not guilty or your case is dismissed.
- You may be sentenced to a maximum of six months or a year in county jail, depending on the charge.
- Your car insurance will increase substantially.
- Your fines, court costs and cost of DUI school and any treatment will be well over $1,000.00.
- You cannot expunge your criminal conviction for DUI.
- If you took a breath test and were over .15 BAC, you must install an ignition interlock device in your car and blow into it before driving.
But just being arrested for drunk driving or charged with DUI DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL BE CONVICTED. Contact Pawuk & Pawuk for a free, no-obligation consultation with our Pasco County DUI defense attorneys. We have years of experience handling Florida DUIs, both as former state prosecutors and as criminal defense attorneys. We will help you consider every possible defense or reduction to your charges.
How to Defend Against a Florida DUI Charge
What many people do not know is that there are many defenses to a DUI which could lead to a dismissal or reduction of the charge to Reckless Driving. Before you give up and decide there is no way out of it, you need to know:
- Was the stop of your car by the police legal?
- Did the officer follow the correct procedures when he administered the breath test?
- Were the Field Sobriety Tests (balancing/walking tests) done properly?
- Was the breath test maintained according to FDLE requirements?
- Do you have a physical disability or condition that might have affected the tests you were given?
These are just a few of the questions our experienced DUI defense attorneys will analyze to determine if you have a way to prevent a DUI conviction.
Arrested for Drunk Driving? Contact Our Pasco County DUI Defense Attorneys
If you have been arrested for DUI, please don't wait to request a free consultation with our DUI defense attorneys early in the case. We serve Pasco County, Florida and most of the surrounding area, including Pinellas County and Hernando County.