Prior DUI Conviction
What if you are arrested for DUI and have a prior conviction? What if the prior DUI conviction was 20 years ago? Prior Criminal Convictions for DUI will:
- Increase the length of your driver’s license suspension.
- Cause mandatory jail sentences
- Can turn your misdemeanor charge into a Felony.
You need an experienced criminal attorney who can guide you through the process. Here are the general DUI repercussions for multiple convictions:
- Second DUI conviction within 5 years – 10 days in jail and 5 year license revocation
- Third DUI conviction within 10 years – 30 days in jail and 10 year license revocation (and can be charged as 3rd Degree Felony)
- Fourth DUI conviction – 3rd Degree Felony; permanent license revocation
These are the general punishments, but there are many other factors to consider – for example:
- Second DUI within 5 years – minimum fine: $2,000; 1 year ignition interlock device; 30 day vehicle impound.
- Third DUI within 10 years – minimum fine: $2,000 (Max – $5,000); 2 year ignition interlock device; 90 day vehicle impound.
- Fourth DUI – minimum fine: same as Third DUI; 2 year ignition interlock device
If you actually took a breath test and your breath alcohol level (BAC) was above .15 or there was a minor under the age of 18 in the car, the penalties are enhanced regardless of whether you have any prior DUI’s. You will be required to have an ignition interlock device on your car for at least 6 months on a first conviction and at least 2 years for a second conviction. In addition, your fines will essentially double:
- 1st DUI with > 0.15 BAC – $1,000 – $2,000
- 2nd DUI with > 0.15 BAC – $2,000 – $4,000
- 3rd DUI with > 0.15 BAC – Not less than $4,000
In addition to these costly penalties, don’t forget that there will be at least 12 months of probation, DUI school, substance abuse evaluation and treatment, and an increase in your car insurance rates.
Arrested for DUI? Contact Our Pasco County DUI Defense Attorneys
The best DUI attorneys can and will find a defense to your DUI charge. And, the best criminal attorney will aggressively defend your rights as to the DUI prior conviction. Call us today at (727) 372-3111 for a free consultation.